Sunday, October 11, 2009

Thomas-Gygax, Stone Mountain Park, 10/10/9

How cool would it be to have the etching on Stone Mountain serve as the backdrop at your reception !!! Well, that's what you would get if you reserved Memorial Hall for your reception. A unique setting for sure. Along the back of the hall is a wall of windows that overlook the lawn and the etching and visitors of the park were cupping their hands over their eyes and leaning into the glass to see what was going on in the hall which was "closed for a private event". As they leaned, they left their nose/hand prints on the glass. The staff at the hall were constantly cleaning the exterior windows free of prints .... and doing everything to make the hall perfect for Wendy and Matt.


Wendy Thomas and Matt Gygax (pronouned Gig Ax) met with me back in April ... they chose a design that I had done about a year ago .. round / square / round ... only their cake would not be iced using my vanilla buttercream .. it would be iced in chocolate fudge. Yummy !!! Their top layer was 1/2 strawberry; 1/2 chocolate filled with chocolate buttercream ... but the other two layers were fake. Three 1/2 sheet cakes (1/2 chocolate; 1/2 strawberry filled w/ fresh sliced strawberries) were prepared and placed in the kitchen area to be cut and served to guests.

Their topper was quite unique .... it was created from a man who had been a vendor at the famous Stone Mountain Yellow Daisy Festival. Wendy will give me his contact information as soon as she returns from her honeymoon and I'll pass that info along to you.

I also created a groom caked that was served at the rehearsal dinner and was a surprise for Matt. Matt and I shared one thing in common ... Boston Cream Pie ... my mom used to make me one for my birthday ... now I make it for my own birthday. Vanilla cake filled with a vanilla custard, and frosted in chocolate buttercream. For Matt's cake, I added the 1970 Marshall Thundering Herd logo on the top. I hope he enjoyed his surprise Boston Cream Pie cake .... I made a little extra filling for me .. it was so good.

Thank you Wendy and Matt ..... I wish you much happiness.

VENDORS:
Music: Spectrum Entertainment (Jimmy)
Photography: 35 Atlanta (Adam and Amber
Floral: Flowers by Joan (Joan Rubenstein)
Caterer: Stone Mountain Park Catering
Baker: me

1 comment:

WTG said...

Eileen,

Thank you for TWO amazing cakes. Everyone was raving about the Groom's cake at the rehearsal and I assured them that it was the same baker for the wedding cake the next day. (Which everyone is STILL talking about from co-workers, to family, to friends - everyone LOVED the cake) My mom is wishing she could ship you up to Illinois for our Open House in December! Feel like braving the cold? j/k but we DO plan to visit you again when a cake need arises! Thanks, Eileen! It was scrumptious!

Many thanks,

Wendy & Matt Gygax