Saturday, January 31, 2009

Lee-Smith, The Old Mill Restaurant, 1/31/9




Cara Lee and Robbie Smith (such a cute couple) had their reception at The Old Mill Restaurant in Acworth. When I deliver my next cake in that neck of town, Clay and I will go back to have dinner. Their menu looked amazing.

Three tier cakes tend to look "short", but after separating each layer with columns, and hiding the columns with many carnations, this cake looked tall and stately with vertical pleats. I added green hydrangea and berries on the top. It was amazing how the green hydrangea made the color of the carnations pop. I thought it came out pretty.

Now the groom cake was a project .... the top design took about 6 hours, but I loved how it came out. Robbie is seen no where without his I-Phone ... so a larger than life I-phone made a great groom cake. I customized some of the icons to reflect a few of Robbie's favorite things. The calendar icon was modified with their wedding date; the clock icon showed the wedding start time (6:00); the british flag repesented where they were engaged (London); the State of Georgia outline was to represent where they were from; the eight note was to show Robbie's musical interest; the Owl was to represent Kennesaw State "owls" where he went to school; the Gretsch logo was to represent Robbie's drum set; and last, but not least, the WB logo to show Robbie's love for classic cartoons.

Instead of driving all the way home, Clay and I stayed in the area .. we went out to dinner, shopped a little, laughed a lot ... and then headed back to pick up the plateau. The restaurant had run out of plates, so while they were washing more, I got hugs from both, Cara and Robbie (Cara looked beautiful, by the way) and made my way to the cake. When the plates arrived, I started cutting and plating the remainder of the wedding cake. It does my heart good when all that remains of a cake is crumbs.

Thanks EJ and Janet (Blue World Studios) for these awesome cake shots !!! (www.blueworldstudios.com)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Eileen, the cakes were so wonderful - I can't thank you enough for all the hard work you put into making them special (and really yummy)! The wedding cake was exactly what I wanted, and Robbie was THRILLED with his groom's cake. I can't wait for the next time we get one of your delicious creations!

Thanks again!
Cara