Saturday, April 30, 2011

WEDDING: Ralph-Hansen, Zoo Atlanta, 4/30/11

BRIDE and GROOM: Kristen Ralph and Spin Hansen
VENUE: Zoo Atlanta

I don't know who was looking forward to delivering this cake more ... me or my assistant, Becky. I was thrilled to have been given the opportunity to create this cake ... not just for the design (so contemporary; so different), but for the location .... The ZOO !!! They married in the Panda Pavillion, had cocktails with the Gorilla's, then went back to the Panda's for the reception .... how cool is that !!!

Kristen knew exactly what she wanted her cake to look like and I hope I didn't disappoint her. Black and white were her colors ... the Panda's were black and white ... her wedding party wore black and white .... and the cake was black and white (and looked great against this red wall). We were a little disappointed with the floral ... thought they were going to be much larger in size ... but it still came out just fine. The design was a bit contemporary, yet it looked elegant at the same time.

The cake was presented on a black 16" tile .... go ahead, try to find one. You can't !!! So I made it. Purchased a 16" tile (brown), primed it, and painted it with Glossy Black. Not too shabby !

As I was setting up the cake, I noticed some sawdust on the tablecloth ... so I would brush it off and continue set up. The sawdust appears again ... again I would brush it off. The third time it happened, I decided to look up .... to Boring Bee's who were boring into the wood above. One mention to Andrea (Zoo Atlanta) and she called in a wonderful maintenance man who came and filled up those holes so no more sawdust would get near the cake. AWESOME response! Thank you Zoo Atlanta.

So after the cake was all set up, Clay, Becky and I headed out to see just a little portion of the Zoo .. we started with the Panda's. This handsome guy was just chillin'. Becky was waving to him, expecting him to wave back (not). Other than a scratch here and there .. he didn't move. We saw a white peacock, red kangaroo's, and a calico (red/black/blond) hog .. and pink cockatoo's .

This was a delightful way to end April !!! Thank you Kristen and Spin. Wishing you my best.


VENDORS:
Music: To the Rescue Entertainment
Photo: Susan Johnson
Floral: Sherri Myers
Caterer: Cafe Sol (Zoo Atlanta)

Wedding Cake Flavor/Filling:
6" - White cake filled w/ Cookies n' Cream
8" - White cake filled w/ Grand Marnier
10" - White cake filled w/ Bavarian Cream
12" - FAKE CAKE

No comments: